Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Where did all the time go?

Am I the only one who is completely dumbfounded that it's already the middle of May? This year has flown by so fast--I bought a house, took my first trip to Africa, watched one of my nieces graduate from high school and am preparing for my baby niece to enroll in kindergarten. That's just the highlights of the past year. Of course there is all the drama left over from 2010. All of that compounds into a world of real life that makes it next to impossible to find the time to sit down and work on writing.

One of my biggest struggles is that I've never set aside any special time to work on my writing. I've always loved the worlds I create inside my head and it's so much fun to put my fantasies on paper that I look at it as a reward more than a chore. If I have other obligations in my real life, I feel guilty when I sit down and try to work on writing. So what do I do? Nothing. I don't want to write because I feel guilty about the other stuff I need to do in life and I don't want to do that stuff because it sucks. I end up watching TV, playing on Facebook or taking a nap. All of that leads to a giant pile of nothing.

I'm going to start working on fixing my flaws. I think if I sit down and organize my time, I should be able to allow myself to concentrate more on my writing and actually accomplish a few of those chores I've been neglecting. I'll be happier at the end of the day and each morning when I wake up.

All of that aside, have you ever came up with a title for a book and then devised a plot around it? I came up with a couple over the weekend and shared them with Rosalie Stanton. That brings my list up to 6 different plotlines that I need to put down on paper. My imagination and muse are way more productive than my fingers and my words. :)

Well, I better get to work! Hope everyone has a fantastic day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear. This has been the story of my life for the last three or four weeks. I hit places in both manuscripts that I was really psyched to write, but I had deadlines in other aspects of life. So instead of working on the deadlines -- which I didn't want to do, or writing -- which I wanted to do but couldn't for the guilt, I did neither.

    You'll get back on track. Things have been a little crazy for you as of late. Moving and going to Africa are both huge adventures. Once everything settles, you'll just need to not feel guilty for taking some YOU time. Either way, I'll be here, eager to get more to read.

    ReplyDelete